2015年02月05日

The headquarters of the Imperial Guard Division in bygone days, standing in 'Kitanomaru Park' in Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, is used now as The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo.

IMG_2733.JPG

The old headquarters building built in 1910 is one of the representative Western-style buildings of the day. Japan's Imperial Guard Division, which formally started in 1891, had a role in protecting the Emperor and the Imperial Palace grounds in peace time, and occasioanlly it went to the front as the strongest army division in wartime.
The Crown Prince had to join this division,as he was the future Emperor, the commander-in-chief in those days. The Emperor Taisho and Showa, the grandfather and father of the present Emperor respectively, were the members of this division when they were the Crown Princes.
The soldiers of the Imperial Guard Division were carefully selected from the applicants throughout the country, and the special uniforms were supplied in that they could stand out as an elite group.
This division was broken up toghther with other military divisions right after the Second World War. Present Emperor and Imperial Palace are guarded by the Imperial Palace Guards, one of the police departments.
This old building in the picture, designated as an important cultural assset, is opened to the public as a National Museum.

Licensed tour guide/travel consultant,
Masahisa Takaki.

通訳案内士 高木聖久

HP-banner




posted by masahisa at 10:04 | Tokyo | このブログの読者になる | 更新情報をチェックする

2015年01月05日

Holy Resurrection Cathedral, commonly known by the name of 'Nicholai-do' in Chiyodaku, Tokyo, is the cathedral of Orthodox Church in Japan.

IMG_0022.JPG

Nicholai-do, one of the largest Christian churches in Japan, was named after St. Nicholai, a Russian archbishop who introduced the teaching of Orthodox Church into Japan. This cathedral features a big green dome as shown in the picture, and is the first as well as the largest Christian church in Byzantine style.
Originally being built in 1891, it was largely repaired after the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923.
Believers in Orthodox Church in Tokyo, who hold Divine Liturgies, wedding ceremonies and funeral services, are usually found in this church.

Licensed tour guide/travel consultant,
Masahisa Takaki.

HP-banner

posted by masahisa at 11:14 | Tokyo | このブログの読者になる | 更新情報をチェックする

2014年07月16日

'Nippon Budokan' in 'Kitanomaru Park', Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, was originally built as a judo arena for the Tokyo Olympic Games in 1964.

IMG_2724.JPG

Present Kitanomaru Park located in the old site where the mansions of the 'Tayasu' family and 'Shimizu' family, stood just north of of the 'Honmaru Goten' the main building of old Edo Castle. These two families were the important branch familiies of Tokugawa shogun's family. In line with that judo was adopted as an offficial event for the Tokyo Olympiic Games for the first time, the then Government made a decision to build an adequate judo arena in the heart of Tokyo. A world-class architect of the day, Mamoru Yamada was commissioned to design it. He worked out the design for this arena modeling after 'Yumedono' in 'Horyuji' Temple grounds in Nara. Yumedono was built in the 8th century, and is well known for a unique octagonal exterior. Nippon Budokan is still used for multipurpose performances, such as various kinds of martial arts and concerts.

Licensed tour guide/travel assistant,
Masahisa Takaki.

HP-banner
posted by masahisa at 16:16 | Tokyo | このブログの読者になる | 更新情報をチェックする