2018年11月15日

The area name of 'Ningyo-cho' Chuo-ku, Tokyo, has to do with that puppet play theatres stood in this vicinity in the Edo period in the 17th-19th century. *Puppet means 'Ningyo' in Japanese.

R0030631.JPG

Early in the Edo period in the 17th century, Japan's largest licensed red-light district named 'Yoshiwara', with the area of 5,000 square meters, stood here in Ningyo-cho. It was relocated to 'Asakusa' area far from then downtown after being destroyed in the Great Fire of Meireki in 1657. The street name of 'O-mon' in this neighborhood is the trace of O-mon main gate to Yoshiwara. After the relocation of Yoshiwara, puppet play theaters and Kabuki theatres were built in this site with many puppeteers and puppet makers. This is why this neighborhood is called Ningyo-cho.
As Ningyo-cho was very close to 'Nihon-bashi' fish market, which was moved to 'Tsukiji' in 1935 then to 'Toyosu' in 2018, this district became busy with the workers for the fish market and the spectators of play houses. Ningyo-cho used to be one of the busiest downtowns in Edo, present Tokyo.
Taking into account this historical background, many long-established restaurants, sweet parlors and shops are still found on the streets as shown in the picture.

Licensed tour guide/travel consultant,
Masahisa Takaki.

HP-banner



posted by masahisa at 11:48 | Tokyo | このブログの読者になる | 更新情報をチェックする