2018年10月06日

Mansei-bashi train station used to stand between Kanda Station and Ocha-no-mizu Station on JR Chuo-Line.

IMG_0816.jpgIMG_0812.jpg
japan.up.seesaa.net/image/IMG_0818.jpg" target="_blank">IMG_0818.jpg

In the vicinity of Mansei Bridge, spanning the Kanda River running along the edge of Akihabara Electric Town, many kinds of stores such as greengrocers, rice stores and fuel dealers were found in the 17th century. In the wake of the increasing population in the 18th-19th century, this vicinity had become one of the busiest downtowns in Tokyo with an accumulation of the restaurants and amusement facilities. Mansei-bashi train station, which had a stately station building equipped with a waiting room, restaurant and meeting room, was opened in 1912. However, Tokyo Station, Kanda Station and Akihabara Station were opened one after another thereafter, and the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 destroyed this stately building. The importance of this station as a transportation hub had rapidly shrunk toward abolition in 1943. A part of the old platform is converted into a restaurant now, which offers the visitors a very close view of the passing trains as shown in the first and second pictures. Several old restaurants are still found on the back streets of this quarter, which recall the good days before the Second World War, as shown in the third picture.

Licensed tour guide/travel consultant,
Masahisa Takaki.

HP-banner



posted by masahisa at 14:38 | Tokyo | このブログの読者になる | 更新情報をチェックする