2015年12月20日

Catholic Tsukiji Church and Kanda Church are the oldest church in Tokyo.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

Japan's feudal government issued orders forbidding missionary work of Christianity in 1612. The intention for these orders were to protect Japan against the invasive policy of Western countries under the banner of Christianization. Right after the end of the feudal age, Japan's modernization started in 1867, and the lifting of the ban on Christianity was carried out parallel with other measures for modernization.
The first church in Tokyo was built in 'Tsukiji Teppozu', present Akashi-cho in Chuo-ku, by a French missionary in 1869. Tsukiji Teppozu was opened to Western residents as their settlement two years before this church's completion. The first picture shows the present building rebuilt in 1927.
The second picture shows Kanda Church, rebuilt in 1928, near Suido-bashi Station. This church was originally built by a French priest in 1874, the same year as Tsukiji Church. Kanda Church was also used as a cathedral in Tokyo for 10 years right after the Second World War.

Licensed tour guide/travel consultant
Masahisa Takaki.

HP-banner

posted by masahisa at 16:55 | Tokyo | このブログの読者になる | 更新情報をチェックする