2012年06月25日

"Roppongi", well known as a nighttown, unexpectedly bears the full atmosphere of Japan.

012.JPG
Within walking distance of the center of "Roppongi", The International House of Japan is found. This land belonged to a "daimyo" feudal lord in the Edo period, then the ownership came into Baron Iwasaki Koyata, the fourth head of Mitsubishi conglomerate, in the 19th century. After the second World War, this institution was built in the very place, where the old mansion of Baron Iwasaki once stood, in 1955. This building was designed by Japan's well-known architects of the day, Maekawa Kunio, Sakakura Junzo and Yoshimura Junzo.
On the other hand, the garden of this institution was originally built in 1930, by Ogawa Jihei the seventh, a top-ranking landscape designer in Kyoto, in response to the request from Baron Iwasaki. This garden is renowned as a masterpiece of modern Japanese garden which retains traces of the early Edo period.
* See the picture above.
As the institution has lodging facilities, a restaurant and teahouse, and you are welcome to enter the garden, just dropping in on this place on the occasion of visiting "Roppongi" is highly recommended.

Licensed tour guide/travel assistant,
Masahisa Takaki.

HP-banner
posted by masahisa at 11:18 | Tokyo-gardens | このブログの読者になる | 更新情報をチェックする